Highly accomplished attorney specializing in representation of persons claiming benefits under the Social Security Act from initial claims through United States District Court. Licensed to practice in Tennessee, admitted to practice before the United States District Courts of the Western, Middle and Eastern Districts of Tennessee, Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas and Northern District of Mississippi and the Supreme Court of the United States. Certified Social Security Disability Advocate by the National Board of Legal Specialty, the American Bar Association and the State of Tennessee.
BA Memphis State University, 1972; Juris Doctor Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, University of Memphis, 1975.
Admitted to the Bar Tennessee 1976, United States District Court, Western District of Tennessee 1977, Northern District of Mississippi 1984, Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas 1986, Middle District of Tennessee 1987, SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 1980.
Represent individuals in appeals under Titles II, XVI and XVIII of the Social Security Act at all stages from initial applications to appeals through United States District Court on issues of disability, entitlement, overpayment, Medicare, termination of benefits, etc.
Represent individuals claiming disability benefits under Long Term Disability (LTD) private or group insurance policies in administrative claims, mediation and United States District Court under the ERISA Act.
Martindale Hubbell rating: AV 1996-2016
Office of Hearings and Appeals, Social Security Administration
Staff Attorney, February 1978- March 1984
• Assistant to Administrative Law Judges, prepare recommended decisions, perform legal research, prepare reports on regulatory changes. Other duties as assigned.
- Memphis and Shelby County Bar Association, 1978-Present- Co-Founder and Chairman, Social Security Section 1999, Board of Directors 2000
- Federal Bar Association, 1978-Present- President, Memphis Mid South Chapter 1986-1987, National Council Representative, 1987,
- National Chairman Health and Human Services Section, 1993, National Chairman Social Security Section, 1999
- National Organization of Social Security Claims Representatives, 1987- present. Board of Directors, Sixth Circuit Representative, 2005-2009
- University of Memphis Law School Alumni Association, 1985-Present, President 1999
- Memphis Area Legal Services, Board of Directors, 1989-1995
- Family Services of Memphis, Board of Directors, 1993-1995
- St Peter Catholic Church, Parish Council, 1998-2001
- Chickasaw Council BSA, Troop 55 Committee Chair, 2003-2005
- Touchdown Club of Memphis Board of Directors 1992-1993Board of Directors
- “In the Courts” Memphis Bar Association, Newsletter- 1982.
- North Mississippi Rural Legal Services, Social Security Law Practice- 1987.
- Memphis State University Continuing Education, The Peoples Law School- 1988, 1989, and 1990.
- National Organization of Social Security Claims Representative (NOSSCR) Seminar Presenter National Conference Meetings 1990, 1991, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007.
- American Bar Association Convention Seminar Presenter 1990.
- “Evidence and Disability Claims Under the Social Security Act,” Federal Bar Journal, October 1990.
- “Private Practitioners Guide to Social Security Disability Cases,” FBA Health and Human Services Newsletter 1990.
- “In the Courts Seminar” - Social Security, Memphis Bar Association 1990.
- National Business Institute, Inc. Tennessee Elder Law- 1991.
- MBGH/UNUM Insurance Company Disability Conference- 1991.
- Social Security Disability, Memphis Bar Association, Luncheon 1992.
- Memphis Police Department Planning Seminar- 1993.
- Tennessee Trial Lawyers Association Annual CLE Review, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000.
- Multiple Sclerosis Society- Social Security Issues May, 2000.
- Memphis Bar Association Social Security Section “Social Security Practice Guide and Update,” July 26, 2000.
- “Social Security Update,” Memphis Lawyer, Memphis Bar Association, September/October, 2000.
- “Alumni News President’s Column”, University of Memphis Lawyer, Fall, 2000.
- “Techniques for Winning your Social Security Case in Tennessee”- National Business Institute Seminar, October 2005, Memphis, TN.
- Elder Law Practice-Barristers Educational Services-2006
- “Social Security Disability Practice for the Novice and Veteran” NOSSCR-6th Circuit Seminar, Nashville, TN. July 23, 2007
- 15th Annual Fifth Circuit NOSSCR Seminar- February 2008
- National Business Institute, December 2014- Social Security Disability Bootcamp
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law- Adjunct Professor Skills Seminar- 2010-2015
Download Chris A. Cornaghie's Resume
Certified as a Specialist in Social Security
Disability law by the American Bar Association
Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 Listed Mediator